I’ve taken the classic Irish mashed potato side dish, Colcannon, and given it a super flavor boost with Vermont cheddar and freshly grated horseradish root! It’s made with creamy mashed potatoes, Vermont cheddar cheese, garlicky kale, fresh dill, scallions and sweet cream butter and is ready in less than 40 minutes!
- 2 ½ pounds thin-skinned potatoes, (about 4 medium) peeled and cut into 1 ½ -inch chunks
- 1 cup milk, warmed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted plus more for serving if desired
- 6 ounces shredded extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 to 5 teaspoons freshly grated or prepared horseradish, to taste
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper, preferably white
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or organic canola oil
- 3 scallions, sliced greens and whites separated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small bunch lacinato kale, stems removed and finely shredded (about 6 cups)
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan. Cover with cold water and bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain simmer and cook until the potatoes are just tender when pierced with a fork, 15 to 18 minutes. Drain thoroughly and return the potatoes to the saucepan. Add milk and butter and mash with a potato masher or electric beater until smooth. Add cheddar, horseradish, dill, salt and pepper and mash until the cheese is melted and the potatoes are smooth. Cover saucepan with lid to keep warm if necessary.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add scallion whites and garlic and cook, stirring until softened and fragrant, but not browned, 30 to 90 seconds. Add kale and cook, stirring until wilted. Add 2 to 3 to 4 tablespoons water if necessary and continue cooking until the kale is bright green and just tender, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the kale to the mashed potatoes and stir to combine. Serve colcannon topped with scallion greens and additional butter if desired.
- Serving Size: 2/3 cup
- Calories: 226
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 365 mg
- Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 24 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 8 g