Vegetarian brown rice risotto with green peas, fresh dill and cheddar cheese.
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 1/2 cups short grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable broth, such as Imagine No Chicken
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 ½ cup frozen sweet peas
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh herbs, such as chives, parsley and dill
- 6 ounces shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese, such as Cabot Seriously Sharp, divided
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and shallot and cook, stirring often until softened and just beginning to brown, 1 to 3 minutes. Stir in rice and cook, stirring until the rice grains start to get translucent in spots, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in wine and cook, stirring often until the wine has mostly evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in broth, nutmeg, salt and pepper, increase heat to high and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer undisturbed until most of the liquid has been absorbed, 38 to 42 minutes.
- Remove from heat, stir in peas, herbs and 1 cup cheddar (4 oz.), cover and let sit 5 minutes off the heat. Stir a final time and serve sprinkled with the remaining 1/4 cup cheese and more freshly ground pepper.
Substitutions: You can use another vegetable instead of peas such as 4 ounces of chopped baby spinach or chopped and steamed broccoli. Instead of white wine, deglaze with 1/2 cup water and 1 1/2 teaspoons white wine vinegar.
Tip: In step 2, make sure you do not cook the liquid completely away. You can press your spoon down into the rice mixture to see how much is left. It should be below the top of the rice, but not all the way to the skillet. You can also test a kernel or two of rice to see if it is tender.
- Serving Size: 1 cup each
- Calories: 318
- Sugar: 2 g
- Fat: 14 g
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 10 g