Get your greens at breakfast with this simple Chard and Egg Bake. It’s a cinch to make and everyone will enjoy it since it’s covered in shredded, melted cheddar.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch chard, leaves and stems chopped and separate
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 6 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, or to taste
- 3 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 2 ½ quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chard stems and onion and cook, stirring often until the onion and chard stems start to soften, 2 t 4 minutes. Add chard leaves and 2 to 3 tablespoons water and cook, stirring to wilt them down until they are soft and the water is evaporated. Transfer the chard mixture to the prepared baking dish.
- Beat eggs, dill, Dijon, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Pour over the chard.
- Bake until the eggs are just slightly wobbly in the center, 20 to 24 minutes. Add cheese on top and continue baking until the eggs are cooked through and the cheese is melted, about 4 minutes. Let cool 5 to 10 minutes before slicing into 4 squares to serve.
- Serving Size: 1/4 casserole
- Calories: 237
- Sugar: 1 g
- Sodium: 581 mg
- Fat: 18 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 4 g
- Fiber: 3.5 g
- Protein: 15 g