These Carrot Cake Waffles are a cross between a hearty, wholesome whole-wheat waffle and a slice of carrot cake. Ready is less than 30 minutes and packed with 9 grams of protein and 5 grams of fiber they make a nutritious and delicious breakfast!
- 3 large eggs
- 2/3 cup apple juice
- 1/3 cup avocado oil or organic canola oil
- 3 tablespoons dark pure maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 1 cup peeled and shredded carrots, about 2 medium
- 1 8 ounce can crushed pineapple, drained well
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 3 tablespoons chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 1/4 cups white whole-wheat flour
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- whipped cream cheese, optional
- Preheat waffle iron.
- Make Wet Mix: Meanwhile, beat eggs, juice, oil, 3 tablespoons maple syrup in a large bowl. Stir in carrot, pineapple, raisins and walnuts.
- Make Dry Mix: Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
- Combine: Stir flour mixture into the egg mixture with a silicone spatula.
- Cook batter according to waffle maker’s instructions. Serve topped with whipped cream cheese and additional maple syrup if desired.
Can be prepared through step 3 up to 1 day in advance. Store wet mix in the refrigerator.
- Serving Size: 1 waffle
- Calories: 377
- Sugar: 13 g
- Sodium: 323 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 52 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 9 g