These Hearty lower-carb Burger Bowls are ready in less than 30 minutes. They have all the flavors of hamburgers but without the bun! There’s a Whole30 compliant option and one for making it even lower in carbs.
For The Meat Mixture
1 tablespoon avocado oil or organic canola oil
1 large finely diced red onion, divided
8 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
1 pound ground turkey or beef
¾ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
For The Dressing
½ cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt (sub mayo to make dairy free or whole30 compliant)
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon dill pickle relish
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
½ teaspoon celery salt
For The Bowls
4 cups frozen cauliflower rice
1 ½ cup shredded lettuce, optional
1 large tomato, diced
½ cup sliced dill pickles
- Make meat: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Reserve ¼ cup diced onion for garnish. Add the remaining red onion, mushrooms and turkey or beef to the skillet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cook, stirring and breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon until the meat is cooked through and the liquid has evaporated, 8 to 10 minutes. Drizzle Worcestershire sauce over the meat and stir to incorporate. Remove from the heat.
- Make Dressing: Whisk yogurt, ketchup, vinegar, relish, mustard and celery salt in a small bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat cauliflower rice according to package instructions.
- Assemble Bowls: Divide cauliflower rice among four shallow bowls. Top with the meat, dividing evenly. Garnish with lettuce, tomato, pickles and the reserved red onion. Drizzle over the burger bowls and serve.
Make Ahead and Reheating Instructions:
The meat and dressing can be made up to four days in advance. Keep separate. To reheat the meat and cauliflower rice, portion them into a bowl and microwave for two minutes or until steaming hot. Alternatively, you can heat the meat on the stovetop with a little broth or water. Heat until steaming hot. Assemble as directed.
For Low Carb Option:
Substitute mayonnaise for the yogurt, and use sugar free ketchup. With these alternatives, the calories will be 485 per bowl, 8 g net carbs (13 g total carbs and 5 g fiber.)
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 330
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 16 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 30 g