Brown Rice Kale Risotto with Cheddar is a healthy gluten-free and vegetarian main course.
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth for vegetarian option)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup short grain brown rice
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 6 cups shredded Lacinato or curly kale
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
- Grated Parmesan cheese for serving
- Bring chicken broth to a gentle simmer in a medium saucepan.
- Heat oil in a sauté pan or large straight sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until the onion is softened and jut starting to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add carrots, celery, thyme, pepper and salt and cook, stirring often until the celery is bright green, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in rice and cook, stirring, until the rice starts to turn opaque in spots, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add wine, and cook, stirring often until the wine is almost completely evaporated, about 90 seconds. Ladle 3 cups of the broth into the rice, and stir to combine. Cover the remaining 1 cup broth and keep warm. Bring the rice mixture to a simmer. Cover, adjust heat to keep the liquid at a steady simmer and cook until the rice has absorbed most of the broth, about 35 minutes.
- Bring the remaining 1 cup broth to a simmer. Remove lid from rice, increase heat to medium and stir in the remaining 1 cup broth and kale. Continue cooking, stirring often until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is creamy and tender, 8 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in butter until melted. Add cheddar and stir until melted. Serve hot with Parmesan on top if desired.
- Serving Size: 1 1/3 cup
- Calories: 290
- Sugar: 2.5
- Sodium: 407
- Fat: 16 g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5
- Carbohydrates: 23
- Fiber: 3
- Protein: 12