This Brown Rice and Sweet Potato Salad was inspired by a dish I made recently at an Organics for All event in Chicago sponsored by Shaw’s. It’s great because it’s totally doable for a weeknight dinner, but it’s special enough to hold court at your Holiday table!
- 1 cup O Organics brown basmati rice
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2 inch dice
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 large orange, 1 teaspoon zest and 1/3 cup juice
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey or pure maple syrup, dark or amber
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup pecans, chopped and preferably toasted
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup Italian parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cook brown basmati rice according to instructions on packaging.
- Meanwhile, toss sweet potato with 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper until coated. Spread out in a single layer onto a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring once or twice, until tender and darkened in spots, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk orange zest and juice, vinegar, honey, Dijon mustard, the shallot and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil until well combined.
- Re-whisk the dressing to combine then add warm rice, pecans, cranberries and parsley to the orange juice mixture and gently stir to combine. Serve warm or at room temperature.
- Serving Size: 3/4 cups
- Calories: 249
- Sugar: 11 g
- Sodium: 437 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 34 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 3 g