Brown butter, maple, pecans and rum make this Chex party mix an unexpectedly sweet and savory.
- 6 cups multigrain squares cereal or chex, about 12 ounces
- 2 cups roughly chopped pecans
- 2 cups bite-sized pretzels
- 3 cups trans-fat free bagel crisps, broken into bite sized pieces
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup dark pure maple syrup
- ¼ cup dark rum
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- Arrange oven racks evenly in upper and lower third of the oven. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Coat two large rimmed baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Mix cereal, pecans, pretzels and bagel crisps in a large bowl.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat, swirling occasionally until the milk solids brown, 6 to 8 minnutes. Remove from heat, and carefully pour in maple syrup and rum (mixture will bubble.) Whisk in cinnamon, ginger, salt and cloves. Pour butter mixture over the cereal mixture, and stir to coat. Spread party mix out on the prepared bakng sheets. Bake, stirring every 15 minutes or so, until the party mix is dry and the nuts are fragrant, about 1 hour. Cool before transferring to air tight container, about 1 hour.
6 mg Cholesterol, 3.5 g Added Sugar
- Serving Size: 1/3 cup
- Calories: 138
- Sugar: 4 g
- Sodium: 145 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 15 g
- Fiber: 2.3 g
- Protein: 2 g