This salad can be served as a side dish or as a meatless main course salad. It packs into lunch boxes perfectly!
- 1 ½ cup dry quinoa, rinsed if necessary
- 3 cups water
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and grated with a rasp-style grater
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 14-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced, some seeds included for heat to taste
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup chopped mint
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- Bring quinoa and water to a boil in a medium saucepan, cover, reduce heat to low to maintain a gentle simmer, and cook until the germ has burst and the water is absorbed 16 to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk garlic, oil, lime, cumin and salt in a large bowl.
- Scrape hot quinoa into the lime dressing, and stir to combine. Let cool at least 10 minutes or covered in the refrigerator overnight.
- Add beans, mango, red pepper, jalapeno, cilantro and mint to the quinoa and stir to combine. Add the avocado and gently stir it in. Serve warm or refrigerate up to three days.
- Serving Size: 1 generous cup
- Calories: 226
- Sugar: 7 g
- Fat: 17 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 4 g