Our homemade vegetable stock recipe is a cut above the rest. Our signature method, and combination of key ingredients yield the most delicious vegetable broth that is both rich in flavor and is the perfect building block for all your soups stews and recipes using veggie broth.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 onions, peeled and chopped
- 1 head garlic, cloves smashed and peeled
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 16 cups water
- 5 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 stalks celery, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 4 whole sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sweet potato, cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1 small sprig fresh rosemary
- ½ ounce dried porcini mushrooms (see tip)
- ½ teaspoon whole peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric or 2 inch chunk turmeric root, cut in half lengthwise
- Swirl oil in the bottom of a large heavy-bottomed soup pot. Add in onion and smashed garlic and sprinkle with salt. Set over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally until the onions are very start and lightly golden, 15 minutes to 17 minutes.
- Pour in water and add carrots, celery, thyme, bay leaves sweet potato, rosemary, porcini mushrooms, peppercorns and turmeric.
- Increase heat to high, cover with lid askew and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the vegetables are completely soft and the stock is deeply colored, 1 hour to 1 hour 20 minutes.
- Strain through a fine mesh sieve or colander lined with cheese cloth.
- Cool and transfer to jars or storage containers. Refrigerate up to 1 week or freeze up to 6 months.
Leeks: If desired, replace half of the onion with chopped leeks
Turmeric: if you cannot find turmeric root, you can use ground turmeric or simply add the skins of two onions instead to boost the rich color.
Porcini Mushrooms: These are stored at room temperature and found in the produce department or international aisle of large supermarkets and in specialty gourmet stores. Alternatively, sub in 8 ounces clean fresh mushrooms or a small amount of dried shiitake mushrooms.
Allow the stock to cool and then store it in an air-tight container. It can be refrigerated for 1 week or kept frozen for 6 months.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Active Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hours and 30 mins
- Category: Soups and Stews
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 27
- Sugar: 1 g
- Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 2 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 1 g
Keywords: homemade vegetable stock, veggie stock, vegetable broth, best vegetable stock, vegetable stock cubes, homemade vegetable broth, dark vegetable stock recipe