Simple beet salad with tahini, red wine vinegar and shallot.
- 2 pounds beets, stem and root ends trimmed
- 1small or ½ large shallot, peeled and chopped
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- sesame seeds and parsley for garnish, if desired
- Place beets in a large saucepan. Cover generously with cold water and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a lively simmer and cook, adding water if necessary to keep beets submerged, until they are tender when pierced with a fork, 45 minutes to 1 hour 10 minutes depending on the size of the beets. Drain and return to the pot. Run cold water over the beets for several minutes to cool them enough to peel. Peel by rubbing skin off with fingers or use a pairing knife. Dice the beets into small cubes.
- Puree shallot, oil, vinegar, tahini, water and salt in a mini prep or food processor. Toss beets with the tahini sauce and transfer to a serving bowl. Top with sesame seeds and parsley if using.
- Calories: 187
- Sugar: 12 g
- Sodium: 497 mg
- Fat: 13 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Carbohydrates: 17 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 4 g