Recipe for beet and caramelized onion bruschetta with goat cheese crumbles. Easy, healthy vegetarian appetizer with beets and balsamic caramelized onions.
- 3 medium beets, about 1 pound
- 20 slices baguette, preferably whole-grain
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- ¾ cup balsamic caramelized onions
- 3 ounces crumbled goat cheese
- Place beets in a large saucepan and cover generously with water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until a fork inserted into the flesh of a beet comes out with little resistance, about 40 minutes. Note that over-cooking will make it difficult to slice nicely. Drain and cool until cool enough to handle.
- Rub skin off of beets. Slice as thinly as possible, using a mandoline or sharp knife. Divided beet slices among the baguette slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Top with caramelized onions and goat cheese.
- Serving Size: 2 bruschettas
- Calories: 332
- Sugar: 8 g
- Sodium: 715 mg
- Fat: 4 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 63 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Protein: 14 g