Apple, Cheddar and Sausage Breakfast Strata is the perfect Christmas morning breakfast. It is an unforgettable savory and sweet make-ahead breakfast or brunch casserole for the Holidays!
- 8 large eggs
- 1 cup non-fat or low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons chopped sage
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 pound sourdough sandwich bread crusts removed and cubed
- 2 apples peeled, cored and finely diced
- 1 12- ounce package Vermont Smoke & Cure Cider Bratwurst cut into half rounds
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese shredded and divided
- Beat eggs, milk, mustard, sage, salt, pepper and nutmeg in a large bowl. Coat a large 9 by 13 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Layer half the cubed bread into the casserole dish. Top with half the apple, half the sausage and half the cheese. Top with the remaining bread, apple and sausage. Reserve the remaining cheese in the refrigerator for step 4.
- Pour the egg mixture over the casserole trying to moisten evenly. Cover with aluminum foil and refrigerate 8 to 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Bake casserole, covered, until it is steaming hot and the center is starting to puff, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Remove foil, top with the reserved cheese and continue baking until the cheese is melted and the top is golden 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
- Calories: 388
- Sugar: 5 g
- Sodium: 896 mg
- Fat: 19 g
- Saturated Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 28 g
- Fiber: 2 g
- Protein: 22 g