A simple vegetarian dinner made from pantry staples: white beans, jarred sliced beets, poached eggs and bread. Perfect for those evenings when you need to make dinner in a hurry, but don’t have many fresh ingredients on hand.
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, plus a splash, divided
4 large eggs
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
2 teaspoons coarse ground or brown mustard
1 teaspoon honey or sugar
½ teaspoon salt
Pinch dried tarragon
1 large leek, sliced, washed and drained
1 15-ounc can white beans, such as cannellini, drained and rinsed
½ baguette, sliced
1 16-ounce jar Aunt Nelly’s Sliced Beets, drained
- Preheat grill or grill pan to medium- high heat.
- Bring a skillet of water to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and add a splash of vinegar. Carefully crack 1 egg at a time into a small dish, then slide them into the simmering water while making sure they are spaced evenly. Let simmer gently until the whites are set and the yolks are still runny, about 4 minutes. Drain on a plate lined with paper towel and cover to keep warm.
- Meanwhile, whisk together 1 tablespoon oil, the remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar, mustard, honey, salt and tarragon in a small bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring often until the leeks are softened and starting to brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Add beans and cook until heated though, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and drizzle on 2 tablespoons dressing.
- Brush the remaining tablespoon oil over the baguette slices, and grill until just toasted and browned in spots, about 2 minutes per side.
- Arrange the white beans and beets in four large shallow bowls. Drizzle with the remaining dressing, dividing evenly. Top each with a poached egg and serve with baguette slices on the side.
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup bean mixture, 3 slices baguette, 1 egg, 1/3 cup beets
- Calories: 395
- Sugar: 11 g
- Fat: 18 g
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 17 g
Keywords: pantry dinner,pantry salad,white bean salad,beet and white beans