This 20 minute Turkey and Pepper sauté is Paleo, gluten-free, whole 30 and low-carb, so pretty much everyone can enjoy it! It’s made with lean turkey, sweet bell peppers, onions, herbs and fire roasted tomatoes in just one pan making it the perfect weeknight dinner.
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 pound turkey tenderloin, cut into thin steaks about ¼-inch thick
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ large sweet onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into strips
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
- Chopped fresh parsley and basil for garnish (optional)
- Sprinkle ½ teaspoon salt over turkey. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add half of the turkey and cook, until browned on the bottom, 1 to 3 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until cooked all the way through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the turkey to a plate with a slotted spatula, tent with foil to keep warm. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the skillet, reduce heat to medium and repeat with the remaining turkey, 1 to 3 minutes per side.
- Add onion, bell peppers and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt to the skillet, cover and cook, removing lid to stir often, until the onion and peppers are softening and brown in spots, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Remove lid, increase heat to medium high, sprinkle with Italian seasoning and pepper and cook, stirring often until the herbs are fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add vinegar, and cook, stirring until almost completely evaporated, about 20 seconds. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer, stirring often.
- Add the turkey to the skillet with any accumulated juices from the plate and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, turning in the sauce until the turkey is hot all the way through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve topped with parsley and basil if using.
- Calories: 230 calories
- Sugar: 7 g
- Sodium: 635 mg
- Fat: 8 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Fiber: 3 g
- Protein: 30 g