This new 15 Minute Blackened Cod Fish recipe is going to become a staple in your weeknight dinner rotation, especially for the summer season. It’s a super-fast recipe that packs a tasty punch and can be paired with pretty much any side dish. The key flavor in this cod is the smoky blackened Cajun spice, but don’t worry if you don’t have any, I’ll help you make your own! This fish is a healthy and low-calorie seafood dish that’s bursting with bold flavors, and I know your family is going to love it!
- 1 to 1 ¼ pounds cod filet, cut into 4 portions
- 4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon coarse kosher salt (*see note)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ lemon, cut into wedges
- Parsley for serving, optional
- Pat fish dry with paper towels. Sprinkle both sides with Cajun seasoning and salt.
- Melt butter in a large cast-iron skillet over high heat. Add the seasoned fish, and let cook, undisturbed until the bottom is blackened and the fish is turning opaque up the sides along the bottom edge, 1 to 3 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish filets.
- Carefully flip the fish over and continue cooking until the fish lightly flakes, 1 to 3 minutes depending on the thickness of the fish filets. For thicker pieces, an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the fillets should reach 145 degrees.
- Serve with lemon wedges and parsley if desired.
If you cannot find store-bought Cajun seasoning, you can make your own by mixing 1 ½ teaspoon paprika, ½ teaspoon garlic powder, ½ teaspoon onion powder, ½ teaspoon dry thyme, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, ¼ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon celery seed, ¼ teaspoon cayenne (or more to taste.) Check the label of your Cajun seasoning. Some do not contain salt or sodium and in that case, increase the amount of added salt to ¾ teaspoon.
To prevent the fish from flaking apart, do not move it around in the skillet. Once you flip it over, it is best to leave it so that it doesn’t start to break apart.
Cold leftover blackened cod can be used to top off salads or to be rolled into a wrap. Rewarm in a microwave covered with parchment at 50% power for 1 to 2 minutes per piece of fish.
- Serving Size: 4 ounces
- Calories: 171
- Sugar: 0 g
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrates: 0 g
- Fiber: 0 g
- Protein: 20 g