Recipe mash-up of sweet potato casserole, s’mores and a thumbprint cookie
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- ½ cup sweet potato puree (see tip)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup turbinado sugar
- 99 mini marshmallows
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment.
- Beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium-low until lightly creamed, but not fluffy, about 30 seconds to 1 minute. Add sweet potato and beat until combined. Beat in vanilla extract.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. While mixer is running on low speed. Gradually add in flour mixture. Mix until it just comes together as a dough. Do not overmix. If dough is tacky, refrigerate until completely cold, 2 to 3 hours.
- Place turbinado sugar in a baking dish. Roll dough into 33 balls, about 2 rounded teaspoons of dough each. Roll each ball in the turbinado sugar and place on the parchment. Press the center of each ball down with a clean thumb or finger to create an indentation for a marshmallows. Fill all the cookies with three marshmallows each, pressing down to make sure marshmallows stay in place.
- Bake until the cookies are set-up and the marshmallows are puffed and browned, 9 to 11 minutes. Cool completely before drizzling the cookies with chocolate.
tip: To make sweet potato puree, bring several inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add 1 medium peeled and cubed sweet potato to steamer basket, cover and cook until tender when pierced with a knife 12 to 18 minutes, depending on size of chunks. Cool completely. Transfer to a food processor and puree until smooth, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 80
- Sugar: 6 g
- Sodium: 41 mg
- Fat: 2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 11 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 1 g