slow cooker ham and broccoli brunch bread pudding
Happy Friday my dear friends. This Slow Cooker Ham and Broccoli Brunch Bread Pudding is the perfect make-ahead recipe for Easter or Mother’s Day brunch. You won’t want to miss it. Just stir it together and turn the slow cooker on! Nothing to it! Two and a half hours later you have golden cheesy bread pudding that everyone will love!
It has smoky flavor from ham, and just enough cheddar cheese to make it comforting and delicious. It comes together quickly though, don’t worry! I even used frozen chopped broccoli to shave off some prep time!
It is a hearty main for brunch, or you can serve it for dinner on a busy evening with a big green salad. To get the recipe visit my friend Amee’s blog where I am guest posting while she is recovering from breast cancer surgery. If you don’t know Amee’s blog I can’t say enough great things about it. Or her as a person for that matter. She is a wonderful person (we met last year at Blog Brûlée) and she is really humble, she is also a Crossfit trainer and generally super hard working supermom. On her blog she shares healthier versions of comforting southern cooking. Please visit this Slow Cooker Ham and Broccoli Bread Pudding recipe today and say hello to Amee while you are there!
After you visit Amee, come back and check out my cooking segment last weekend on Public Television! They semi-jokingly asked me if I wanted my own show afterwards! Ha ha! 🙂
This Slow Cooker Ham and Broccoli Brunch Bread Pudding is the perfect make-ahead recipe for Easter or Mother’s Day brunch. It is a hearty main for brunch, or you can serve it for dinner on a busy evening with a big green salad.
- 6 egg whites
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 6 ounces shredded sharp cheddar, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cubed day-old whole-grain bread, crusts removed if desired
- 1 10-ounce box frozen chopped broccoli, thawed and drained
- 8-ounces cubed boneless ham steak (about 1 ½ cups)
- ¼ cup chopped chives
- Whisk egg whites, eggs and milk in the insert of a 4-quart slow cooker. Stir in 1 cup (4 ounces) cheddar, salt and pepper. Stir in bread, broccoli, ham and chives. Layer the remaining ½ cup (2 ounces) of cheese over top.
- Cover and cook on low for 2 ½ hours until it is puffed in the center and an instant read thermometer inserted into the center of the casserole registers at or above 160 degrees F. Let cool in slow cooker, uncovered for about 20 minutes before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 cup each