Paleo recipe for steaks cooked in a skillet with bell peppers.
- 1 teaspoon black or mixed peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt, divided
- 4 strip steaks, about 8-ounces each
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil or organic canola oil
- 3 bell peppers, any color, cored and sliced
- ¼ cup red wine
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 cup beef or chicken broth
- ½ teaspoon arrowroot
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Crush peppercorns in a mortar and pestle until cracked but not finely milled. Alternatively, seal peppercorns in a small re-sealable bag. Crush with a small skillet or the smooth side of a meat mallet. Mix in ¾ teaspoon salt. Sprinkle the pepper mixture over both sides of the steaks
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large oven-proof skillet over high heat. Add steaks and sear until browned and crispy, 2 to 3 minutes. Flip steaks over and transfer the skillet to the oven and cook until the steaks are medium rare, 6 to 7 minutes. Remove steaks to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm and rest.
- Return the skillet to medium-high heat. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add peppers, and cook, stirring often until starting to brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Add wine, thyme and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and increase heat to high. Simmer, stirring often until the wine is almost completely evaporated, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir broth and arrowroot in a small bowl. Add to the skillet and bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring often, until the peppers are tender and the sauce is thickened, 5 to 7 minutes
- Serve the steaks with the pepper sauce and garnish with parsley.
- Serving Size: 1 steak, 2/3 cup peppers and sauce
- Calories: 546
- Sugar: 0 g
- Sodium: 406 mg
- Fat: 17 g
- Saturated Fat: 6 g
- Carbohydrates: 10 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 45 g