To Make ahead: Prepare through step 3 up to 1 day in advance. Store the zest mixture and the blanched green beans, covered, in the refrigerator.
- 1 tablespoon plus
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 pounds green beans
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest, from about 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed orange juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 teaspoons finely grated ginger root
- Tons of freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Place a large pot of water on to boil. Add 1 tablespoon salt to the water.
- Meanwhile, trim stem-end off of the green beans. Stir together orange zest, orange juice and honey in a small bowl. Prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with a generous amount of ice and cold water.
- Boil the green beans, stirring occasionally, until crisp tender, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain the beans and transfer to the ice bath. When they are cool, drain again.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook, stirring until just softened and starting to brown slightly, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in ginger, and cook, stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the green beans and zest mixture, and cook, tossing to combine until the beans are heated through, 3 to 5 minutes. Season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.
0 mg cholesterol, 1.1 added sugars
- Serving Size: 3/4 cup each
- Calories: 81
- Sugar: 5.1 g
- Sodium: 733 mg
- Fat: 0.6 g
- Saturated Fat: 0 g
- Carbohydrates: 18.4 g
- Fiber: 6.7 g
- Protein: 4 g