What has more vitamin C per serving: strawberries or oranges? It’s strawberries, which provide 160 percent of the recommended daily value of vitamin C. This is according to the California Strawberry Commission.
The only thing I don’t love about strawberries is their season is too short. That’s why I say they’re not just for shortcakes. Here is a savory way to enjoy them during their fleeting season.
Mesclun Greens Salad with Chevre, Cashews, Chicken and Strawberries
- 1 pound chicken breast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 8 cups mesclun greens or baby lettuces
- 1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup roasted unsalted cashews
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 2 teaspoons honey mustard
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Place chicken in a medium skillet and cover with water. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain simmer and cook until chicken is cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Remove chicken from the poaching liquid and cool completely before slicing.
- Meanwhile, arrange greens, strawberries, goat cheese and cashews on a large platter.
- Whisk vinegar, shallot, honey mustard and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt in a small bowl. Whisk in oil and season with pepper. Top salad with chicken and drizzle with dressing.
0.8 g added sugar, 105 mg cholesterol
Katie Webster | HealthySeasonalRecipes.com