This yummy french toast is stuffed with farmer cheese and apples. It’s the perfect Fall breakfast topped with warm maple syrup. Plus it’s ready in 15 minutes, crazy!!
- 4 teaspoons coconut oil, divided
- 1 large firm apple, such as Cortland, Crispin, or Honey Crisp, peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup, dark or amber, plus more for serving (optional)
- 1/4 cup farmer cheese or ricotta
- 1 tablespoon maple sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup non-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 slices soft wheat sandwich bread
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add apple slices in a single layer and cook, undisturbed until the bottoms are browning, about 2 to 3 minutes. Drizzle on 2 tablespoons maple syrup, turn the apples with a spatula to coat, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 1 to 3 minutes longer, until syrup is reduced and caramelized and apples are tender. Set aside in the skillet.
- Stir farmer chees and maple sugar in a small dish to combine.
- Whisk egg, milk, and cinnamon in a wide, shallow dish. Add bread to mixture two pieces at a time, turning once with clean hands or a spatula to coat both sides. Transfer to a plate to wait for the skillet. Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. (See below for alternative griddle method.) Add two slices bread. Cook uncovered about 2 minutes, until bottoms are browned. Flip bread with a spatula and top one slice with half the apples and cheese. Cook about 2 minutes longer, until bottoms are browned. Top the layered toast with the plain toast, sandwich style, and transfer to a plate. Serve with additional syrup (if using). Repeat with the remaining 1 teaspoon oil, bread, and cheese, adjusting heat to medium-low to prevent the bread from burning.
For large griddle: Heat griddle to medium heat. Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil. Add bread and cook about 2 minutes, until the bottoms are browned. Flip bread with a spatula and top two slices with apples and farmer cheese. Continue cooking, about 2 minutes, until the bottoms are browned. Top the stuffed pieces of toast with the plain pieces, sandwich style, and transfer to two plates. Drizzle with additional maple syrup (if using).
- Serving Size: 2 slices
- Calories: 506
- Sugar: 42 g
- Sodium: 415 mg
- Fat: 21 g
- Saturated Fat: 13 g
- Carbohydrates: 69 g
- Fiber: 5 g
- Protein: 19 g