This Lemon Garlic Broccoli is a yummy kid friendly vegan side dish that’s ready in 10 minutes! All the flavors balance perfectly, so you’ll be thrilled to watch it almost magically disappear!
Today is a special day for Healthy Seasonal Recipes. It is the two-year anniversary of when it moved to its home at this domain. Today is also the day we are re-launching with an updated look, and spankin’ new navigation. Getting it to where it is has been a lot of work, and I am thrilled with the results. So to celebrate the occasion, I thought it appropriate to share a special recipe with you.
Looking at the picture, your wondering okay, special occasion, why is Katie sharing a bowl of broccoli with us then? Well that’s because this broccoli recipe is special. It is one I make over and over. When I was a personal chef, I made it for clients, by request, every week. In the spring I prepare asparagus the same way, and in summer I’ll use green beans. Year round, it never fails to disappear off my family’s plates.
In fact, I credit this recipe with being the single reason my four-year-old claims broccoli is her favorite vegetable. You’re probably thinking, “Wow! It must be magic.“ And I have to say there is a bit of magic to it. The trick is that the sour lemon, and the salt balance the bitterness of the broccoli, which makes it more palatable for bitter-sensitive kids (and grown-ups.) Plus a bit of garlic and fat (in the form of healthy extra-virgin olive oil) never hurts the flavor of any vegetable. Okay so it is more science than magic, but a four-year-old doesn’t have to know that.
So enjoy this birthday present to you, and please let me know what you think of the new site. I hope it is easier for you to get around. Please leave me a comment letting me know how you like it, or if there are any glitches that need tending too. Happy cooking!
- 5 cups raw broccoli, cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- rounded ¼ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring 1 to 2 inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer attachment. Add broccoli, cover and steam until crisp tender, 3 ½ to 4 1/2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil and garlic in a medium skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook until the garlic is fragrant and just starting to brown, 30 to 90 seconds. Scrape garlic mixture into a large bowl. Immediately add lemon juice. Add lemon zest, salt and pepper.
- Stir broccoli into the lemon mixture and stir to coat. Serve hot.
0 mg Cholesterol, 0 g Added Sugars