This Green Salad with Beets and Crispy Prosciutto Chips is going to rock your salad bowls! The caramelized onion and buttermilk dressing is sublime and the contrast of the crunchy prosciutto chips with the unctuous beets is better than the sum of the parts. It’s naturally gluten-free and primal too!
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 1 bunch beets, about 12 ounces, preferably baby-sized, stems and greens removed
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- ¼ teaspoon dry thyme
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- ¼ cup non-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- 14 cup mixed salad greens
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Brush ½ teaspoon oil over a large baking sheet. Cut prosciutto into 1 to 1 1/2 –inch squares and place on the baking sheet. Brush the prosciutto with ½ teaspoon oil. Bake until crispy, 5 to 7 minutes. Carefully transfer the prosciutto chips to a wire rack with a spatula. (If you leave them on the baking sheet they won’t be as crisp.)
- Meanwhile, place beets in a large saucepan with enough water to cover by at least 2 inches. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until tender when pierced with a fork, 20 to 30 minutes. (If using larger beets, they will take up to 40 minutes.) Drain and let stand until cool enough to handle. Trim both ends of the beets and rub off skins. Cut into wedges.
- While the beets are cooking, combine onion with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, thyme, salt and pepper in a small saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring often for 10 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking until the onion is very soft and caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes more. (If the onion begins to brown before it becomes very soft, add water 1 tablespoon at a time.) Remove from heat cover and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Stir the onions, scraping up any browned bits. Set aside ¼ cup of the onion and transfer the rest to a blender or food processor. Add buttermilk, vinegar, mayonnaise and chives. Puree until smooth.
- Toss salad greens, the reserved ¼ cup onion and the dressing in a large bowl. Divide among 4 plates. Top with beets and proscuitto chips.
6 mg Cholesterol, 1 g Added Sugars
- Serving Size: 2 1/4 cup
- Calories: 194.64 kcal
- Sugar: 7.13 g
- Fat: 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat: 2.02 g
- Carbohydrates: 15.04 g
- Fiber: 4.27 g
- Protein: 9.14 g
- Cholesterol: 13.96 mg