Sweet and tart strawberry rhubarb crisp made with gluten-free sorghum and pecan topping.
- 4 cups strawberries, hulled and cut into thick slices
- 3 cups chopped rhubarb- about ½-inch slices
- ¾ cup maple sugar or brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- pinch salt
- ½ cup sorghum flour
- 3 tablespoons maple sugar or brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
- ½ cup pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat a 8X8-inch Pyrex baking dish with cooking spray.
- Make Filling: Stir strawberries, rhubarb, ¾ cup maple sugar or brown sugar, cornstarch and salt in a large bowl. Transfer to the prepared baking dish.
- Make Topping: Combine sorghum flour, 3 tablespoons maple sugar or brown sugar, ginger and butter in a food processor. Process until the butter is cut into the flour and mixture looks like coarse meal. Add pecans and process until the pecans are chopped. Pour topping over the filling.
- Bake crisp until the filling bubbles and the topping is browned 40 to 50 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.
This recipe can be doubled and baked in a 9 by 13 baking dish. When doubled it takes 60 to 70 minutes to bake. All-purpose wheat flour may be substituted for the sorgham flour if desired.
- Serving Size: 1/8 casserole
- Calories: 223 calories
- Sugar: 19 g
- Sodium: 23 mg
- Fat: 10 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 35 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Protein: 2 g