A healthy gluten-free cornbread stuffing recipe with bacon and butternut squash for Thanksgiving. Seasoned with smoked paprika, sage and a pinch of nutmeg.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry thyme
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 ½ cups reduced sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 pounds butternut squash, peeled and cut into ¾-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 large eggs
- 1 batch day old gluten-free skillet cornbread (1.9 lb)
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- Melt butter with oil in a large heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat. Add onion, and cook until starting to brown and soften, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in sage, smoked paprika, salt, thyme, pepper and nutmeg, and cook, stirring until fragrant, 30 to 90 seconds. Add 2 cups broth, squash and celery. Increase heat to high and bring to a simmer, stirring often. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a simmer, and cook until the squash and celery are just barely tender, 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool, about 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325ºF. Cut cornbread into cubes. Spread on a sheet pan and bake until starting to brown and crisp, 22 to 28 minutes. Allow to cool. (Makes 8 cups)
- Whisk eggs in a large bowl with the remaining ½ cup broth. Stir in squash mixture. Gently stir in cornbread, bacon and parsley. Coat a 9 by 13 baking dish with cooking spray. Transfer the stuffing mixture to the prepared baking dish. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Bake until steaming hot all the way through, 30 to 35 minutes (for stuffing straight from the refrigerator add 15 minutes.) Remove foil, and continue baking until the top is browned, 20 to 25 minutes longer.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 280
- Sugar: 2 g
- Sodium: 497 mg
- Fat: 6 g
- Saturated Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrates: 7 g
- Fiber: 1 g
- Protein: 4 g
Keywords: gluten free cornbread stuffing