Cream of Mushroom Soup with a drizzle of truffle oil served with toasted baguette crostini topped with vegetarian pate made from lentils and walnuts.
- 3 cloves garlic, divided
- 1 ½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- ¾ cup canned lentils, drained
- ½ cup toasted walnuts
- 1/3 cup chopped chives, divided
- 2 tablespoons truffle oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cups sliced mushrooms, any variety or mixed
- ½ teaspoon dry thyme
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups vegetable broth, such as Imagine no chicken
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 12 slices baguette, preferably whole-grain, toasted
- Mince ½ clove garlic. Sprinkle with ½ teaspoon salt and mash into a paste with the side of a chefs knife. Transfer the paste to a food processor or mini-prep and add lentils, walnuts, 1 tablespoon chives, 2 teaspoons truffle oil, vinegar, 1 tablespoon chives and process to combine.
- Finely chop the remaining 2 ½ cloves garlic. Melt butter in a large heavy-bottomed soup pot over medium-high heat. Add onion and the remaining garlic and cook, stirring until starting to brown and soften, 4 to 6 minutes. Add mushrooms, thyme and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and cook stirring often, until the mushrooms have released their juices and the juices have evaporated, 5 to 7 minutes. Add sherry and rosemary, bring to a simmer and let sherry evaporate until almost completely dry, 30 seconds to 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetable mixture and stir to coat. Add broth, increase heat to high and bring to a simmer, stirring often. Add milk and return to a simmer, stirring often. Remove from the heat, stir in chives.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle the remaining 4 teaspoons truffle oil over the soup, dividing evenly. Spread the lentil walnut pate over the baguette and serve with the soup.
- Serving Size: 1 ¾ cup soup and 3 crostini with ¼ cup pate