Baked coconut-crusted shrimp with fresh salad made with minneola tangelos, jalepenos and cilantro. Can be served as a passed appetizer or a first course.
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup peeled and chopped mineola tangelos or tangerines
- 2 teaspoons jalapeno pepper, minced (seeded if desired)
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 ¼ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups flaked unsweetened coconut
- 1 pound 26-30 count raw shrimp
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Combine scallions, bell pepper, chopped citrus, jalapeno, cilantro and ¼ teaspoon salt in a food processor or blender. Pulse to form coarse chunky salad.
- Beat eggs in a small dish. Whisk flour, paprika and garlic powder in another small dish. Stir coconut and the remaining 1teaspoon salt in a third dish.
- Peel shrimp. Remove tail shell if desired. Butterfly shrimp by cutting along the back almost through to where the legs would have been attached so the shrimp can then be splayed open and stood tail up. Dredge shrimp in flour mixture. Dip in egg and then coat in coconut. Stand the shrimp tail up on the prepared baking sheet. Continue coating all the shrimp and discard any unused breading. Bake until the shrimp is cooked through and the coating is starting to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Serve salad with the shrimp.
- Serving Size: 4 shrimp and 1/3 cup salad