Whole-grain, date-sweetened breakfast cookies with cherries and berries, pecans, quinoa and flax.
- 6 ounces soft Medjool Dates, pitted and chopped (1 cup)
- ½ cup boiling water
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- ¼ cup ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 4 ounces dried cherries and berries, such as Cherry Berry Bonanza
- 1 cup cooked quinoa (4 ½ ounces) see Tip*
- ¼ cup chopped toasted pecans
- Place dates in a small bowl. Pour water over the dates and let sit until the dates are very soft and the water has cooled to about room temperature, about 20 minutes.
- Arrange two oven racks evenly spaced in upper and lower thirds of the oven. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Coat two large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, flax seeds, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Make a well in the center.
- Place dates and water in blender or food processor and puree until smooth. Add egg yolk, oil, maple syrup, vanilla and almond extract and process until smooth. Pour the date mixture into the well in the center of the dry mix. Stir to combine. Add in dried cherries and berries, quinoa and pecans and stir until just combined.
- Beat egg whites with clean beaters in a medium bowl until soft peaks form. Fold whites into cookie batter.
- Drop batter by two tablespoons per cookie, about 1 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake, rotating once half way, until puffed and set 15 to18 minutes. Let cool on baking sheet at least 5 minutes before removing to a cooling rack with a thin spatula.
Tip* To make cooked quinoa: Bring 2 parts water to a boil in a large or medium saucepan. Add 1 part rinsed quinoa and return to a simmer. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer undisturbed until the water is absorbed and the quinoa has just burst opened, about 15 minutes.
| Fiber: 3 g| Protein: 2 grams|Sodium: 93 | Sat Fat: 0g|
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 116
- Fat: 4