This totally unexpected and delicious brown sugar and coconut glazed rutabaga salad is a bowl full of healthy goodness. It’s dairy free, gluten free, wheat free, primal and paleo! Crazy right?!
- 3 pounds rutabaga, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil, warmed to melt
- 1 1/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups sugar snap peas, cut in half on the bias
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil, or organic canola oil
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4 scallions, finely sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Toss rutabaga, coconut oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt in a large bowl to coat. Spread the rutabaga out in an even layer on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring once or twice, until the rutabaga is almost completely tender, and browning on the bottom, 30 to 35 minutes. Scrape the rutabaga back into the bowl. Add snap peas and sugar and toss to coat.
- Spread the mixture back out onto the pans and return to the oven. Cook, stirring once or twice, until the peas are tender and the vegetables are glazed with the brown sugar, 8 to 12 minutes longer. Mound on a large serving platter.
- Combine vinegar, oil, pepper, and the remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt in a small jar. Cover and shake to combine.
- Pour dressing over the vegetables and top with scallions.
- Calories: 269
- Sugar: 23 g
- Sodium: 1445 mg
- Fat: 15 g
- Saturated Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrates: 40 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 5 g