This sweet and spicy Slow Cooker Maple Chipotle Pulled Chicken is my new favorite weeknight meal. And it will soon be yours too. It is so easy to make and the whole family will fall in love with it.
You know how there are all those cray cray national holidays, like national yodeling day, national square dancing day and national bouillabaisse day? True fact Boulibasse day was earlier this week. And normally, beyond salad month, I don’t give a hoot about these days. I once in a while will tweet a recipe from the archives to mark the occasional National Day.
Today I give a hoot because, today happens to be National Maple Syrup day, and considering that I wrote a cookbook called Maple with a hundred maple syrup recipes in it I think this is a pretty big deal. I even have a big maple giveaway to celebrate the occasion!
Yesterday, I popped out of bed an hour early as my husband was leaving for bootcamp. When he asked why I was up so early, I said, “Tomorrow is National Maple Syrup Day! I have a lot to do!”
And I wasn’t joking. #IHaveNoLife
To celebrate I made you my new favorite recipe. And it is going to be your new favorite recipe too. Really! It is so easy and so tasty and my whole family loved it.
I’ll say it again. For effect. This slow cooker pulled chicken is so good.
The maple chipotle sauce is amazing. I loved the sweet heat. It was definitely not too hot for the kids. In fact if you love heat, you can totally add more chipotle to it.
I piled the pulled chicken onto soft buns and then layered in some easy coleslaw. I didn’t make a recipe for it~ it was just cabbage, scallions, cider vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper and celery seed. Nice and zippy to balance the sweet maple chipotle sauce. The recipe is paleo and gluten-free so if you don’t want to serve it on a bun, I’d love to hear the creative ways you enjoy this pulled chicken.
As I said, I also have a giveaway too! Quirk Books will be giving away one of my cookbooks, Maple: 100 Sweet and Savory Recipes Featuring Pure Maple Syrup. Plus I have two totally unique maple products that I know you’ll love! The first is creamy pure maple cream from the ever tasteful Tonewood. And the second is a bottle of oh-mee-geee-you-have-to-try-this Vermont Maple Sriracha. Follow the directions on how to enter on the widget. There are lots of extra opportunities to increase your chances to win too, so don’t miss out!
Happy National Maple Syrup Day everybody! Hope you have a sweet day!
This sweet and smoky maple chipotle pulled chicken is so easy because you can make it right in your slow cooker! It is my new favorite weeknight meal and my whole family loves it!
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 ½ pound boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 14-ounce can crushed tomatoes, preferably fire roasted
- ½ cup pure maple syrup, dark or amber
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon coarse ground mustard
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground chipotle chili
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Swirl to coat pan. When oil is shimmering but not smoking, add half of the chicken and sear on one side until browned, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer the chicken to the insert of a large crockpot. Reduce heat to medium-high and sear the remaining half of chicken until browned on one side, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to the slow cooker.
- Add onion and water to the skillet, and cook, scraping up browned bits from the bottom of the skillet, until starting to soften, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, maple syrup, vinegar, mustard, paprika, salt and chipotle. Remove from heat and scrape the onion mixture into the crockpot. Cover the slow cooker and cook on low, undisturbed for 4 hours.
- Shred chicken with two forks before serving. Serve with the braising sauce.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:
Healthy Sloppy Joes
keep yourself in the loop
Sign up for the Healthy Seasonal Recipes Newsletter and you'll receive the BEST Easy Vegetable Side Dish Cookbook for FREE. And, rest assured, we son't spam or share you info. Promise.