Step away from the brick of ramen noodles and the iceberg and nobody will get hurt. This sesame chicken celery root salad is wilt-free and loaded with shredded (raw!) celeriac (or celery root), so nary a scrap of iceberg was needed to make this as yumtastic as humanly possible. Boom. Mind blowing isn’t it?
Seriously, I know my peeps weren’t going for the iceberg. I know you’re as much of a kale lovin’ crew as I am. This is why we are friends. Plus we all know that the only place iceberg really belongs is under a bath of creamy dressing and bacon in a proper wedge salad.
But you know that famous sesame chicken salad that has been made and re-invented like an eleventybillion times? And that iceberg and ramen often appear in said salad?
Well, I made it yet another way. And this one is 100% iceberg free. Actually, completely lettuce free for that matter. No ramen either.
And no lettuce means it makes a killer lunch tomorrow too.
You can also check out this sesame chicken celery root salad on theKitchn.com today and the other two recipes in this series as well.
This sesame chicken salad is wilt-free and loaded with shredded celeriac (or celery root.) This make-over contains no lettuce which means it makes a killer lunch tomorrow too!
- 2 large carrots, peeled
- 1 large celery root, peeled (about 1 pound to 1 1/4 pounds)
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken breast (see Recipe Note)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (preferably Thai basil), or cilantro
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled and grated with a Microplane, or finely minced
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon dark pure maple syrup (or agave)
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium tamari (or reduced-sodium soy sauce if not gluten-free)
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Shred carrots and celery root on a box grater or with the grating attachment of a food processor. Combine the carrots, celery root, chicken, and basil in a large salad bowl.
- Combine garlic, vinegar, sesame oil, maple syrup, tamari, sesame seeds, ginger, salt, and pepper in a jar and shake to combine.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to combine.
- Divide among 4 large plates to serve.
To cook chicken: Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a large saucepan. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir to dissolve. Add 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts and return to a simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low to maintain a gentle simmer and cook, turning occasionally to make sure it cooks evenly, until the chicken is cooked through, 15 to 17 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a cutting board to cool, at least 20 minutes before shredding.
PS Speaking of wedge salads, you may also like these recipes from The Archives! Cheers!
keep yourself in the loop
Sign up for the Healthy Seasonal Recipes Newsletter and you'll receive the BEST Easy Vegetable Side Dish Cookbook for FREE. And, rest assured, we son't spam or share you info. Promise.