One bite of this roasted eggplant with pomegranate molasses, feta and mint and I knew it would be on the Best of Healthy Seasonal Recipes. It is a knock out!
It is the kind of recipe that when I start telling someone about it, I get talking so loudly that my daughters, have to stop me from embarrassing them because I am talking so loudly.
It is the kind of recipe that will make you want to turn part of your yard into a garden so you can grow eggplants.
It is the kind of recipe that is so simple, but tastes so enigmatic that you’re not quite sure what all the flavors are.
Here’s how to make it: Toss eggplant with oil in a bowl. The trick here is to not let all the oil soak into only a small area of the eggplant. It’s so absorbent, that this can easily happen. I actually drizzle the oil along the inside rim of the bowl, and then toss. The bowl helps to distribute it. Then I add in the spice and make sure that it’s all coated. I used my hands for that.
Next it’s roasted. Just turn over once when it starts to soften.
On top comes the magic: pomegranate molasses. Man, this stuff is so yummy. It’s very floral and fruity and sweet. So yummy.
In stark contrast I added in briny soft feta (I used goat feta) and then a scattering of fresh chopped mint.
It is absolute heaven!
Hope you enjoy it my friends. Happy cooking!
The knock out flavor of this simple roasted eggplant dish gets me so excited that I embarrass my daughters by talking about it too loudly!
- 1 large eggplant, cut into long wedges, about 1 pound
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- ¼ cup crumbled soft feta
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Toss eggplant wedges with oil to coat. Add smoked paprika and salt and toss to coat. Spread out on the prepared baking sheet. Roast, turning the eggplant over with a spatula once, until the eggplant is softened and caramelized on the bottom, 18 to 24 minutes.
- Transfer the eggplant to a large platter. Drizzle with pomegranate molasses. Sprinkle with feta, mint and pepper. Serve immediately or at room temperature.
keep yourself in the loop
Sign up for the Healthy Seasonal Recipes Newsletter and you'll receive the BEST Easy Vegetable Side Dish Cookbook for FREE. And, rest assured, we son't spam or share you info. Promise.