A festive layered slaw recipe featuring beets, carrots, and apples layered with sharp cheddar, dried cranberries, bacon and pecans.
Earlier this month I got to do some more cooking videos. This time for the New England Dairy Promotion Board for their Must Be the Milk campaign. For the videos, I demonstrated three different recipes that I developed, all healthy of course, and all featuring dairy as the star ingredient.
I thought I’d share one of them with you today, because I am making it for Christmas Eve dinner, and I thought you may want to as well. It is a layered slaw made with beets, carrots, apple, cheddar and bacon. We’re having turkey and all the usual sides. So I thought this would be a great compliment to all of those flavors. It would also be great with Salmon, beef or pork.
When I was working on the recipe, and testing it. I was blown away by the way my daughters devoured it. I guess all it takes is a little bit of bacon and cheddar to get them to ask for seconds of raw beets! I sort of had the feeling that they would like it since they both love this broccoli salad with cheddar and bacon. But it was a surprise that they really went for it without a fuss, none the less.
If it is hard to wrap your mind about what this slaw would be like, think of it as a cross between a parfait and a salad. There are two different dressings, one light and creamy, and one that’s a simple orange juice vinaigrette. I made it in my trifle dish (shown is a 1x batch, but for Christmas Eve I’ll be making a double batch.) Or just any glass dish will do. You’ll want to show off the vibrant layers of shredded raw vegetables and apple. I thought it would also be fun to serve it as individual servings in jars!
A festive layered slaw recipe with shredded raw beets, apples and carrots layered with creamy dressing, bacon, pecans, cheddar and dried cranberries.
- 4 carrots, peeled and shredded (2 ½ cups)
- 2 large apples, peeled and shredded (2 ½ cups)
- 2 medium-large beets, peeled and shredded (2 ½ cups)
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar, divided
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup low-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 4 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled, optional
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- ½ cup toasted chopped pecans
- ¼ cup sweetened dried cranberries
- Place carrots, apples and beets in three individual medium bowls. Whisk orange juice, 1 tablespoon vinegar, honey, shallot, mustard, ½ teaspoon salt and pepper in a small dish. Add oil and whisk to combine. Drizzle vinaigrette over the carrots, apple and beet, dividing evenly among the bowls. Toss each to coat.
- Whisk yogurt, mayonnaise, tarragon, the remaining tablespoon vinegar and the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt in a small bowl.
- Assemble salad in a large glass bowl or in individual glass bowls or jars. Layer half of the carrot, apple and beet into the bowl(s) or jars. Top with half of the creamy dressing. Layer on half of the bacon (if using) cheddar, pecans, and cranberries. Repeat with a second layer of each. Chill until ready to serve, up to 8 hours.
can be made up to 8 hours in advance
DISCLOSURE: I was compensated by The New England Diary Promotion Board to develop this recipe and perform in this video for their use and promotion. However, I was not paid to write this post. All opinions expressed here are my own.
keep yourself in the loop
Sign up for the Healthy Seasonal Recipes Newsletter and you'll receive the BEST Easy Vegetable Side Dish Cookbook for FREE. And, rest assured, we son't spam or share you info. Promise.