Here is a really easy way to make a fast and garlicky marinade for chicken breast without making a big mess or even getting a knife dirty. All you need is a re-sealable bag (aka a Ziploc) and a meat mallet with a smooth side. No need to chop the garlic. Just peel it, pop it in the bag and then get your aggression out by smashing it silly with the smooth side of a meat pounder.
Then open the bag and add your chicken. Taking the time to pound that too will make it so your chicken will cook evenly and won’t dry out. Then last add a crazy-flavorful marinade with lots of vinegar. Unlike other more mild marinades, the acid in the vinegar and the salt will work its way into the meat quickly. Just be sure not to leave the chicken in the marinade for more than two hours. And let the chicken rest for five minutes before slicing. Oops, I guess you’ll need to get a knife dirty for that!
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, tenders separated, about 1 pound
- 3 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons dry herb mix such as Provençale or Shepherd Herb Mix
- Place garlic cloves in a large Ziploc bag, press air out and seal the bag. Smash garlic with the smooth side of a meat mallet. Open bag and add chicken breasts. Press air out of bag and reseal. Pound meat through the bag until the thickest part of the breast is level with the thinnest, about 1/2-inch thick. Open bag again and add tenders, vinegar, oil, salt and herb mix. Press out air and reseal bag and agitate until the chicken is coated in the herb garlic mixture. Refrigerate 30 minutes to 2 hours.
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat. Remove chicken from marinade and discard marinade. Grill chicken until no-longer pink in the center, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Let rest about 5 minutes before slicing.
keep yourself in the loop
Sign up for the Healthy Seasonal Recipes Newsletter and you'll receive the BEST Easy Vegetable Side Dish Cookbook for FREE. And, rest assured, we son't spam or share you info. Promise.