I dare you to not fall in love with these (vegan and paleo) Five Spice Mashed Sweet Potatoes. Actually, I do not think it is possible to have even the tiniest taste without declaring it to be the most amazingly delicious thing you have ever tasted.
It’s impossible I’m telling you.
In fact, I’d wager, that if you serve these for Thanksgiving, you will get at least one marriage proposal.
They’re that good. And they just happen to be vegan and paleo, so pretty much everyone at the table can eat them, fall in love, and live happily ever after. The end.
Okay not the end…. Because you’re probably wondering how to make them now aren’t we? You? We? Whatever… Here’s the deal:
Here’s how to make these 5-Spice Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- The sweet potatoes are peeled and then steamed. This is the speediest way to cook them. And unlike boiling, steaming helps preserve nutrients.
- The seasoning in this recipe is garlic, ginger and five spice. Taking the time to bloom these ingredients in the coconut oil makes them much more flavorful. To do that, simply heat the oil in a small skillet just until melted. Then add the garlic and cook it only until it is fragrant, but not actually browning. Next add in the fresh ginger and 5-spice powder. Cooking the spice in the hot oil brings out the olfactory notes and makes the spice taste much more complex.
- To stop the spice from over cooking, freshly squeezed orange juice is added in to drop the temp down and stop it from browning. A touch of orange zest goes in at the end.
- For the creamiest results, I preferred the food processor method. But if you do not have one, a potato masher works just as well. Or even a food mill would work.
MORE RECIPES YOU MAY LIKE
Slow Cooker Chinese 5 Spice Beef Stew
15 Minute Ginger Pork
Paleo Sweet Potatoes with Citrus, Coconut and Cilantro
Sweet Potato And Brown Butter Hot Cross Buns
Sweet Potato Casserole with Maple Pecans Italian Meringue
Sweet Potato Marshmallow S’mores Cookies
Gluten-Free Quinoa Stuffing with Kale and Walnuts
If you try this recipe, please be sure to come back and let me know! I love hearing from you!
While they are cooking, make
I dare you to not fall in love with these 5-Spice Mashed Sweet Potatoes. They are the perfect Holiday side dish and just happen to be vegan and paleo, so pretty much everyone at the table can eat them, fall in love, and live happily ever after!
- 3 pounds sweet potatoes peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons Chinese 5 Spice
- 1 orange zested and juiced
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- Bring 1 to 2 inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket over high heat. Add potatoes to the basket, cover and steam until a fork can be easily pressed into the potatoes and pulls out without resistance, 19 to 22 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt coconut oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant and just starting to brown. Add ginger and 5-spice and stir to combine. Remove from the heat and immediately and CAREFULLY stir in juice from the orange to stop the spices from over cooking. Stir in ½ teaspoon zest and salt until the salt is dissolved.
- Remove the steamer basket from the saucepan. Transfer the sweet potatoes to a food processor fitted with the steel blade attachment. Scrape coconut oil mixture into the food processor. Puree, scraping down the sides and mixing together once or twice, until completely smooth. Alternatively, for a more rustic texture, pour the boiling water out of the saucepan, and dump the cooked sweet potatoes out of the basket into the hot saucepan. Pour the coconut oil mixture over the sweet potatoes and mash with a potato masher until smooth.
keep yourself in the loop
Sign up for the Healthy Seasonal Recipes Newsletter and you'll receive the BEST Easy Vegetable Side Dish Cookbook for FREE. And, rest assured, we son't spam or share you info. Promise.