Are you ready to be blown away? Well, this Creamy Horseradish Potato Salad is a healthier twist on the classic barbecue side dish and it is mind blowing. It is so creamy and full of flavor that everyone will line up to get a bite! Make it ahead for an easy vegetarian (gluten-free) side for all your easy breezy Summer cook-outs!
I originally shared this recipe on April 17, 2011. I have updated the images and some of the text today.
Grilling season is here and I know most of you have a family recipe for potato salad that you always make and it’s probably really good. But believe me, you will want to try this healthier Creamy Horseradish Potato Salad. The horseradish really adds a surprising depth of flavor that will have everyone raving. And the uber-creamy (but lower in fat) dressing makes it taste soooo decadent.
Speaking of that delectable dressing… I wanted it to be really creamy so I used thick and velvety non-fat Greek yogurt for the base of the dressing. To that I added only ¼ cup of full-fat mayonnaise, which gives it richness without too much added fat per serving. And the best part is this can be made the day before leaving you more time to just chill and grill!
Have you ever added hard boiled eggs to your potato salad? It is so good! The bits of yolk mix with the dressing and potatoes to add even more creaminess and also nice bright color. And the chunks of the whites add a really nice and interesting texture. Then the fresh parsley gets folded in for a burst of color and texture that makes the whole dish extra special.
And just because there’s always room for more potato salad on your table this summer check out a few more awesome recipes from me and my blogging friends….
Avocado Potato Salad by Gimme Some Oven
Mediterranean Potato Salad by Simply Recipes
Bacon Sriracha Potato Salad by Peas and Crayons
Pesto Bacon Potato Salad by Healthy Seasonal Recipes
Red White and Bleu Potato Salad with Horseradish and Bacon by Healthy Seasonal Recipes
Grilled Potato Salad with Ramps by Healthy Seasonal Recipes
This Healthy Creamy Horseradish Potato Salad is a twist on the classic barbecue side. It is so creamy and full of flavor that everyone will line up to get a bite! Make it ahead for an easy vegetarian (gluten-free) side for all your easy breezy Summer cook-outs!
- 2 ½ pounds thin-skinned small potatoes, quartered or halved into about 1-inch chunks (about 8 cups)
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- ¾ cup plain non-fat Greek-style yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup grated white onion
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 2 eggs, hard boiled, peeled and chopped (see tip*)
- Fit a large saucepan or pot with a steamer basket, and fill with water up to the bottom of the steamer.Bring to a boil, add potatoes and cook until just tender, about 15 minutes.Make sure that the water doesn’t boil away.Spread the potatoes out over a baking sheet to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, stir together parsley, yogurt, mayonnaise, onion, horseradish, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Stir in the potatoes and eggs. Chill completely before serving, about 4 hours or overnight.
0 mg Cholesterol, 11 g Added Sugar
To make ahead: Prepare up to 1 day in advance.
tip* to hard boil eggs: Place eggs in the bottom of a small saucepan, cover with cold water by several inches. Bring to a gentle boil over high heat. Allow to boil for 1 full minute. Remove from heat and let stand 12 minutes in the hot water. Drain, run cool water over and cool.
Here are the original images associated with this blog post.
keep yourself in the loop
Sign up for the Healthy Seasonal Recipes Newsletter and you'll receive the BEST Easy Vegetable Side Dish Cookbook for FREE. And, rest assured, we son't spam or share you info. Promise.