Once this honey sweetened and whole grain chocolate chip zucchini bread recipe is sliced, it stands no chance of lasting more than a few minutes. It will be devoured in no time! It is so yummy for a snack or to bring to a party. It is sweetened with honey and made with whole-wheat flour and mini chocolate chips, so it is healthier than most zucchini chocolate chip breads. It has a cup and a half of shredded zucchini, which makes it incredibly moist. And don’t worry even with these healthier ingredients; this recipe has been taste tested by a swarm of hungry kids and given the thumbs up approval.
The last week of school is here, and our season of Girls on the Run has come to a close. Overall, this experience of coaching our team this spring has been so rewarding. Though I wasn’t able to be head coach, I really felt like giving my time to this group of girls was so worth it for them. And they gave back to me tenfold. Every day, no matter how grouchy or stressed I was going into a practice, I left feeling filled up, emotionally recharged and the small stuff fell away.
All the girls really seemed to get something out of the experience. And I was so proud of them. My own daughter really made me so dang proud I cried. During the final 5K race, we ran together the whole way together. Even holding hands at times. I was in my celebratory pigtails and GOTR temporary tattoo. And she wore a tutu, face-paint and pink satin cape! When we got to the last 75 yards or so, without any warning she took off at a sprint. Her cape filled with air and ballooned behind her. I caught snatches of her legs going so fast they reminded me of the cartoons depicting running legs like a circle of pencil snarls. It filled me with joy to watch her go. Yes, I did shed a happy tear or two.
Perhaps the most rewarding moment of the day was when she declared that she can’t wait to do another race, and that now that she knows she can do it, it will be easier for her to try it again.
Our end of the year party was so sweet. We celebrated a great season with a few games and goodies. Every one of the girls got awards that celebrated their individual growth through the season and contribution to the team.
I brought a fresh loaf of this zucchini chocolate chip bread to the final celebration of our girls on the run team. It was still a little warm from the oven, and the pieces were snatched off the snack table quickly, even though it was up against brownies, cupcakes and cake. I’d say that’s a testament to the power of the still a little melted chocolate chip. Just a spoonful of chocolate helps the zucchini go down!
Need more chocolate chips in your world? These Perfect Paleo Chocolate Chip Cookies from Texanerin Baking are so amazing!
Have you ever coached a team of kids or run a race with your kids?
Do you volunteer at your kids school?
Do you remember the wild leg cartoon running?
Whole-grain chocolate chip zucchini bread, sweetened with honey.
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup avocado oil or organic canola oil
- ½ cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup shredded zucchini
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Generously coat a 8 ½ by 4 ½-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a medium bowl. Whisk eggs, oil, honey and vanilla in a large bowl. Stir zucchini into the wet mixture with a silicone spatula. Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and stir with the silicone spatula until moistened. Add chocolate chips and stir until just combined.
- Spread the batter out into the prepared loaf pan. Bake until the bread has risen and the center springs back when lightly touched, 50 to 54 minutes. Let cool in the pan 15 minutes. Turn out of pan and let cool completely on a wire rack before slicing.
keep yourself in the loop
Sign up for the Healthy Seasonal Recipes Newsletter and you'll receive the BEST Easy Vegetable Side Dish Cookbook for FREE. And, rest assured, we son't spam or share you info. Promise.