cheddar green bean casserole
With Thanksgiving mere days away, I thought I better share this great make-ahead side I developed for Cabot Creamery Cooperative. It is a twist on the classic Green Bean Casserole. It tastes pretty similar to the real McCoy, except it doesn’t have canned soup or the processed canned fried onions. In fact, it’s made entirely from-scratch, and I added all-natural Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, a glaring omission in the original recipe! So really, it’s much better than the original!
I’ll keep you posted when Cabot launches the how-to video that will accompany this recipe on their website! In the meantime, did you catch these photographs from the shoot taken by stylist Leah Bever?
It was a ton of fun, and I am so happy Cabot gave me the opportunity to do it.
Active Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
Makes: 10 servings
Serving Size: 2/3 cup
To Make Ahead: Prepare it through step five in advance, and then just pop it in the oven when the Turkey comes out. Keep in mind, the casserole will take a little longer in the oven if it is cold when it goes in the oven.
- 6 cups green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces (about 1 ½ pounds)
- 4 ½ teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 shallots, minced
- 8-ounces Crimini or white mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ cup dry sherry
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 2 cups Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar, shredded and divided, 8-ounces
- 3 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
- Meanwhile, bring several inches of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer attachment. Steam green beans until crisp tender, about 4 minutes. Carefully remove steamer from the saucepan, to stop the beans from cooking further.
- Heat 4 teaspoons oil and butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add shallots and cook until just starting to brown, 2 to 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, thyme, salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally until the mushrooms have released their juices and the liquid has evaporated, 3 to 4 minutes. Add sherry and cook, stirring occasionally until the liquid has evaporated, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the mushroom mixture and stir to coat. Add broth and milk and bring to a simmer stirring often until the sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in 1 ½ cups (6-ounces) cheddar. Add the green beans and stir to combine. Transfer to the prepared casserole dish. Top with the remaining 1/2 cups (2-ounces) cheddar.
- Stir together the breadcrumbs and the remaining ½ teaspoon oil in a small dish. Add paprika and onion powder and stir until the breadcrumbs are evenly moist and bright orange. Sprinkle over the casserole.
- Transfer the casserole to the oven and bake until bubbling and golden brown on top, 20 to 25 minutes. Allow to cool 15 minutes before serving.
- This Side of Amazing: 12 Delicious Holiday Sides - Sparkles and a Stove
- 40+ Savory Thanksgiving Recipes
- Miss Information's Complete Guide to Thanksgiving : Part 4 Side Dishes - My Blog / Website