broccoli and bacon loaded baked potatoes
Today I have this recipe that I have been wanting to share with you for a little while. I developed it for Cabot Creamery Cooperative a while back and I have been waiting for an opportunity to share it with you all. After a failed attempt at a sludge-green St. Paddy’s brownie recipe, I decided that this would be a good time.
Not just because they are sort-of green… Okay that is totally not the reason. But because I was asked to guest post over at Carolina Girl Cooks today. Yay! Which I am so excited about, because I love Jennifer the beauty and brains behind CGC. And I was thinking, nahhh sludge green brownies… not exactly a great recipe to share with such a gracious hostess. This one is way more delicious, and appropriate because it features some of my local flavor with the Vermont Cheddar!
If you have never visited her blog, Jennifer blogs about cooking and travel from her home in South Carolina. I just love her style and perspective on Southern Cooking. Please read more about this recipe and check out her blog. Also be sure to follow her on Pinterest because she has a great eye! You can also find her on facebook, instagram and twitter.
Active Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1 potato
Calories per serving: 350
Fat per serving: 14 g
Saturated fat per serving: 3 g
Carbs per serving: 42 g
Protein per serving: 16 g
Fiber per serving: 5 g
Sugar per serving: 3 g
Sodium per serving: 460 mg
Loaded baked potatoes stuffed with steamed broccoli and bacon topped with sharp cheddar. No stove or oven required. All done in the microwave.
- 4 russet potatoes
- 1 ½ cup finely chopped broccoli
- ¼ cup water
- 1/3 cup lite sour cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper, preferably white
- 1 ¼ cup shredded sharp cheddar (5 ounces), divided
- 2 scallions minced
- 2 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Prick potatoes all over with a fork and microwave, turning occasionally until tender inside, about 16 minutes. Let cool, 12 minutes.
- While potatoes cool, place broccoli and water in a small microwave safe bowl, cover and microwave until the broccoli is tender, about 4 minutes. Carefully remove cover, drain broccoli and set aside.
- Cut top ¼ of potatoes off. Scoop most of the soft white potato flesh into a large bowl (including that from the tops.)Add sour cream, salt and pepper and mash with a potato masher until creamy. Add ¾ cup shredded cheddar and mash until the cheese is melted into the potato. Stir in the reserved broccoli, scallions and bacon. Divide the broccoli mixture among the four hollowed-out potato shells. Divide the remaining ½ cup cheddar over the four potatoes.
- Place potatoes in a small microwave-safe baking dish and microwave until the cheese is melted on top 45 seconds to 2 minutes.
43 mg Cholesterol, 0 g Added Sugars
This recipe was originally developed for Cabot Creamery Cooperative and it also appears on their website.
Disclosure: I developed this recipe for Cabot Creamery Cooperative and was compensated for my work. However, I was not compensated for this post. As always, all opinions expressed here are my own.